We have all been guilty at one time or another, staring at that red, pesky blemish in the mirror! Just one little pick and squeeze won't hurt, will it? The answer is YES! Don't do it! You may be causing more damage to your skin with longterm effects.
Let's get down to the nitty gritty. The internal membrane of your skin is very delicate, and picking will cause the blemish-causing bacterial infection to go deeper and spread more rapidly. In addition, picking is the cause of external bacterial infections and scarring, both under the skin and on the surface. Contact a skincare professional and in the meantime spot treat the infected area every night.
Steps you can take to beat blemishes:
- Be sure to thoroughly wash your face makeup off EVERY night with a custom cleanser. Free radicals, bacteria and pollution clog your pores throughout the day and this is your time to remove them.
- A great spot treatment will be your BFF. We love the Clear Skin Probiotic Masque (the holy grail of masques from Eminence Organic Skincare) as a spot treatment or full masque and the Clear Skin Willow Bark Serum to topically remove bacteria and calm inflammation.
- A gentle exfoliator 2-3 times a week will increase cellular turnover and rid bacteria. Be sure you are choosing a skin-specific exfoliant: rosacea/acne/sensitive: gentle enzymatic, normal/combination: rice based or enzymatic.
- Listen to your body. My concept of skincare includes whole body wellness. Be aware of any foods that are causing an inflammatory response, this can be a leading cause of breakouts and other skin sensitivity. Also, be sure you are drinking plenty of water and staying away from sugary drinks and processed foods. Sugar causes dehydration and can stimulate yeast production in the body.
- Give yourself a boost. Try supplementing your diet with skin specific vitamins like Zinc, Probiotics, Dandelion Root and Vitamin C, D & E.
- Beauty sleep isn't a myth. Tired skin sags, lacks glow and your under eyes suffer, need I say more? Lack of sleep causes blood vessels to dilate, which cause puffy skin and dark circles. When you sleep your skin goes into recovery mode, new cells grow to replace older, damaged cells. Sleepless nights can also trigger hormonal and metabolic changes, which can lead to breakouts. How much sleep do you really need? Experts say seven to nine hours of sleep is the magic number, your skin will thank you!
- Find an amazing skincare professional. A deep cleansing facial, like our Customized Deep Cleansing Oxygen Facial, every 3-4 weeks will ensure that blemishes are being safely extracted and deep pore congestion is removed to prevent future breakouts.
Looking for an appointment? Contact us info@poppystockwellskincare / 347-620-1779